Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My favourite books from childhood

Since I've loved books for as long as I can remember I thought one of my first posts should be a Top Ten of my favourite books I read when I was a kid. Mind you these are in no particular order, but here goes.

1. Now We Are Six - A. A. Milne
 My very first book of poetry. I can remember my Mum giving this to me as part of a Winnie the Pooh box set, but this was definitely my favourite. I can still recite "King John's Christmas" which was and still is one of my favourite poems. For anyone who hasn't read it here's a link.

2. When the City Stopped - Joan Phipson
I've alway meant to go back and read this book as I can't remember much about it, except that I really enjoyed and the title has always stuck with me. It was an Australian novel and I think the setting was Sydney. It features 2 kids trying to get home after rolling strikes basically shut down the city.

3. The Railway Children - E. Nesbit
This another one that I need to re-read, again the title and a vague idea of the story have always stuck with me. I can remember three children who move near a train line and their adventures.

4. The Outsiders - S. E. Hinton
I've chosen The Outsiders, but only because it was the first Hinton book I read, but I read them all and loved them all equally. I can remember you had go on a waiting list in the library to get hold of a them.

5. Are You There God? It Me Margaret - Judy Blume
Judy Blume is like S. E. Hinton, I read them all and loved them, but this one was perhaps my favourite.

6. The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe - C. S. Lewis
Who didn't love this book?

7. 10 Apples Up on Top - Dr. Seuss
Besides the Cat in the Hat, this is the Dr Seuss I remember the most, I can even remember when my Mum bought it for me, probably one of my first book memories.


8. Milly Molly Mandy books - Joyce Lankester Brisley
I loved this series and can still remember trying to make paper doll just like in the books.

9. Peter Rabbit - Beatrix Potter
Possibly still one of my all time favourites.

10. Nancy Drew Mystery Stories - Carolyne Keene
I loved this series and think I had just about the whole set, Mum used to buy me one a week and I usually devoured it within a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment